WHAT IS CRIME STOPPERS?
Crime Stoppers is the most effective law enforcement program to come along in twenty-five years. The program is based on the simple principle that for every crime committed someone other than the criminal has information that would solve it. Crime Stoppers relieves the fear of involvement or retaliation by offering anonymity, and encourages calls by offering a reward.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Crime Stoppers encourages people to call with information to solve crimes already committed, those about to occur and/or the whereabouts of wanted persons. The identity of informants is never known.
When the informant calls the direct line for Crime Stoppers they will be assigned a special code number which will identify them in all future dealings. (THE CALL WILL NOT BE TRACED NOR RECORDED). No one will know who the informant is!
All persons offering information are eligible for a cash reward, also paid anonymously. The rewards run from $50.00 to $2,000.00 depending upon the weight of the information. Unlike other reward programs which stipulate’ arrest and conviction’, Crime Stoppers pays upon arrest only. The waiting time for the pay-out is drastically reduced. The reward is passed on, at a prearranged location.
HOW IS CRIME STOPPERS ORGANIZED?
Crime Stoppers is a non-profit program relying on co-operation between law enforcement agencies, news media and the citizens of our community. The Organization is governed by a Board of Directors which establishes and administers policies. It raises funds, determines methods and amount of payments and oversees the program.
HOW IS CRIME STOPPERS FUNDED?
Monies are raised from the private sector by members of the Board. Since Crime Stoppers is incorporated as a charitable organization, all donations are tax-exempt.
GIVING A TIP!
Step by Step Instructions
- When you have knowledge of a crime that has been committed or is being planned, or if you know who is responsible for the crime or you have specific information that will help the police in solving the crime, call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS anywhere in Canada.
- Your information will be taken in strict confidence. Your anonymity is guaranteed. You will never have to give your name or testify in court.
- You will be issued a confidential code number. Keep this number a secret to ensure your anonymity.
- You will be asked to call back periodically so you may give any additional information and/or be updated on your tip. You will have to refer to your confidential code number.
- If your tip leads to a successful conclusion of a case, you become eligible for a cash reward if desired. Great lengths are taken to ensure that you receive your reward anonymously.
WE WANT YOUR INFORMATION NOT YOUR NAME!
GET INVOLVED IN CRIME…SOLVE ONE!!!
CALL CRIME STOPPERS!
Anywhere in Canada 1-800-222-8477
Northern New York & Eastern Ontario 1-800-265-8477